Employment Opportunities - join Our Team!
The Escondido Fire Department hires certified EMTs to work on our ambulances with Firefighter Paramedics as part of our ALS ambulance transportation service. EMTs have the opportunity to promote to Paramedic once licensed and to Firefighter Paramedic after the completion of a fire academy.
Escondido Fire also recruits for open or lateral Firefighter Paramedics who want to join our team.
- The EMT position is a full time position that provides EMTs with the opportunity to gain valuable experience while working towards becoming a licensed Paramedic. Once an employee promotes to Paramedic, they work exclusively on an ALS ambulance with a Firefighter Paramedic partner. EMTs and Paramedics provide medical support for fire and rescue operations, however the positions do not require a State Certified Firefighter Academy. Paramedics are highly encouraged to complete a Firefighter Academy to be eligible to promote to Firefighter Paramedic and beyond.
- Firefighter Paramedics are assigned to ALS Rescue Ambulances, Fire Engines and our Truck Company. Firefighter Paramedics rotate from a Rescue Ambulance to an Engine to provide a balance of experience and training opportunity. Firefighter Paramedics receive specialty training and take on leadership roles in the department.
Why join the Escondido Fire Department?
- You will join a diverse, dynamic, progressive and service oriented organization with competitive pay and great benefits. EMTs and Paramedics work the same 56 hour schedule on 24-hour shifts as Firefighter Paramedics.
- You will work alongside experienced team members who are dedicated to assisting new employees grow and learn.
- You will gain a LOT of experience running a variety of calls in a dynamic fast paced environment.
- Escondido Fire Department actively encourages and supports our team members to learn, grow and advance.
Watch this video and learn why Escondido Fire might be the place for you!
How to apply:
- Read the brochure "How to Apply for a City Job"
- Visit the Escondido City "Job Opportunities" page and look for the Firefighter Paramedic or EMT posting. If you do not see the job announcement, check back regularly!
- If there is not currently a EMT or Firefighter Paramedic recruitment posted, submit an "Interest Card" so you can be notified when a recruitment opens up.