Not all fire extinguisher service companies are alike in regard to prices charged and services rendered. Keep the following in mind when having your extinguisher serviced. All companies that service fire extinguishers must have a current City of Escondido business license.
- All companies/employees must be insured and certified by the California State Fire Marshal in order to service fire extinguishers/hood systems and sprinkler systems. Ask to see a license or identification card and proof of State-required insurance prior to any work being performed.
- If you are approached by a service person, make sure that your extinguishers are due to be serviced. The tag indicates when it was last done. The service period is for one year.
- All charges should be given to you in writing before any work is done. If parts need replacing, the service person should explain why and make clear any other additional costs. Dry chemical powder should almost never have to be replaced.
- Normally, all work is done on your premises. An exception is when a hydrostatic test is done to certify the integrity of the tank. This is a test mandated by state law and must be done every 12 years. There is an extra charge for this test. If the extinguishers are taken from the premises, loaners should be provided by the service company.
- Check with several approved fire extinguisher service companies to get competitive bids. Tell them the number and type/size, which is shown on the label of each extinguisher. We require 2-A:10B:C size dry chemical extinguishers for most businesses.
- The placement of the fire extinguisher should be Located at an exit or exit pathway and every 75 feet of travel. Mount the extinguisher 3 1/2 to 5 feet above the floor.
- If for any reason, you are unclear on the servicing of your extinguishers, have reason to believe you are not being dealt with ethically, or just need clarification or assistance on any aspect related to fire extinguishers, please contact the Escondido Fire Department at 760-839-5400.
Disposal of Fire Extinguisher
Fire extinguishers may be disposed, free of charge, every other Saturday at the Escondido Resource Recovery Center located at 1044 W. Washington Avenue in Escondido. Business hours are 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. You must have a valid Driver's License or identification with an address within the Escondido city limits.
For more information or for a list of the Saturday's, please visit https://www.escondidodisposal.com/residential-waste-services/curbside-pickup/household-hazardous-waste/