Residential KnoxBox Program
When Escondido Fire is called upon to help during emergencies, our mission is clear: we reach those in need, as quickly and safely as possible.
However, sometimes we must overcome barriers. Locked doors are often one of those barriers when residents cannot reach them due to their conditions. Our Residential KnoxBox Program is designed to give residents a back-up plan to make their home accessible to Firefighters and Paramedics during an emergency. Qualifying residents can receive a lock box at no cost. Inside, a spare house key can be stored for access by the Firefighters during emergencies. Once approved for the program, Fire Department personnel will install the box for you at your home.
Residents who live in Escondido or the Rincon Del Diablo Fire Protection District and identify with at least one of the following:
- 62 years of age or older
- Have a disability
- Needs assistance with one or more Major Life Activity
Check to ensure that your property is within our jurisdiction. Enter your address and if it qualifies you will be able to complete the online application. (This is the best and most efficient way to apply!)
If you have questions about this program or need assistance completing the application, contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 760 839-5400.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a qualifying disability?
What is a Major Life Activity?
- Major Life Activities are activities like caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, or lifting. For more, see the Americans with Disabilities Act Title 42, Chapter 126, Section 12102 (2) (A).
Can I get assistance filling out an application?
- Yes! Please contact by email or phone. We will gladly assist you. Please have all of the information needed to complete the Application Form ready when you contact us.
What should I have prepared when you come to install the Knox Box on my home?
- Please have the following ready for us on the day of installation:
I have a Knox Box installed but I no longer need and/or want to be a part of this program. What do I do?
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 760 839-5400. We will remove the Knox Box and return your home key.