Residential Knox Box Program
When Escondido Fire is called upon to help during emergencies, our mission is clear. We reach those in need, as quickly and safely as possible.
Sometimes, we must overcome barriers. Locked doors are often one of those barriers when residents cannot reach them due to their conditions.
Our Residential Knox Box Program is designed to give residents a back-up plan to make their home accessible to Firefighters and Paramedics during an emergency.
Qualifying residents can receive a lock box that fits over the door at no cost. Inside, a spare house key can be stored for access by the Fire during emergencies. Fire Department personnel will install the box for you.
Residents who live in Escondido or the Rincon Del Diablo Fire Protection District and identify with at least one of the following:
- 62 years of age or older
- Have a disability
- Needs assistance with one or more Major Life Activity
Fill out an Online Application
Fill out an Application Form (pdf) and return to the Fire Prevention Bureau by email or sending it by US mail to:
Escondido Fire Department, Attention Knox Box Program, 1163 N Centre City Parkway, Escondido, CA 92026
What is a qualifying disability?
What is a Major Life Activity?
- Major Life Activities are activities like caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, or lifting. For more, see the Americans with Disabilities Act Title 42, Chapter 126, Section 12102 (2) (A).
Can I get assistance filling out an application?
- Yes! Please contact by email or phone. We will gladly assist you. Please have all of the information needed to complete the Application Form ready when you contact us.
What should I have prepared when you come to install the Knox Box on my home?
- Please have the following ready for us on the day of installation:
- A spare house key that will go into the box
- The Fire Prevention Specialist who will work with you to install the box will let you know which of the following agreements you will need to sign based on the method of installation. If you have a landlord, they must also sign this agreement.
- Knox Box Use Agreement
- Knox Box Installation and Use Agreement
I have a Knox Box installed but I no longer need and/or want to be a part of this program. What do I do?
- Please contact us at email@example.com or call 760 839-5400. We will remove the Knox Box and return your home key.