If you're 50 or older, you might be just the kind of person we're looking for to join our Senior Volunteer Program.
Do you . . .
- Communicate effectively with the public, both in person and by phone?
- Have a current California Driver's License and proof of auto insurance?
Are you . . .
- Physically and emotionally able to perform the duties you'll be assigned?
- At least 50 years of age?
Volunteers need to be able to commit to at least 4 hours per week or 16 hours per month. More hours may be worked, depending on availability.
- Perform basic fire prevention inspections and educate business owners regarding fire safety requirements as needed.
- Provide office support to include filing, answering phones and computer data entry
- Pick up and deliver supplies and equipment
- Provide stand-by fire watch as needed
- Provide information and directions to citizens
- Provide Vial of Life information
- Test and install smoke alarms as requested by homeowners
- Assist the Public Information Officer with clipping file maintenance and during significant incidents
- Assist the Public Education Specialist with fire department informational displays, presentations, and events
- Assist with water and food delivery and other support for firefighting personnel at fires and other extended emergency response incidents
- Conduct fire station tours
- Perform map checks and Knox Box updates as needed
- Perform other related duties requested
- Valid California Driver's License
- Past fire and EMS experience is a plus but not required
- Bilingual skills are highly desirable
The Fire Department Will Provide . . .
- Up to 40-hour academy
- Protective gear
- Communications equipment